[Tagging] Is it possible to have highway=unclassified with ref tag?

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon May 7 15:11:06 UTC 2018

On 5/7/18 10:35 AM, Rory McCann wrote:
> On 06/05/18 09:41, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>> I am pretty sure that it is entirely possible to have
>> highway=unclassified
>> with officially assigned and posted ref number, but I wanted to check
>> whatever my edit on
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dunclassified
>> was correct.
>
> Yes it is! AFAIR the "highway=unclassified" comes from British usage,
> where "unclassified" was a road classification. Yes it sound silly. I
> think the refs in the UK aren't signposted, but roads with the
> unclassified classification (!) have "U" refs (e.g. "U123", instead of
> "A123" etc).
by convention if a ref is unposted, many folks use unsigned_ref instead
of ref
for example, pretty much all the rural paved roads in North Carolina
have state
assigned refs, but the ordinary town roads are unposted.

i can imagine a jurisdiction which uses signed refs on generic
"unclassified" roads,
but i've never seen one. i would be reluctant to explicitly rule out the
possibility.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux