[Tagging] brand=* necessary?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu May 10 14:33:45 UTC 2018

10. May 2018 09:44 by leonkarcher.123 at gmail.com <mailto:leonkarcher.123 at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
> While I was filling up > this list <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Brands>>  on the wiki with information, someone on the talk page asked why I was adding brand=* to every object. His argument was that the brand tag is a duplicate of the name tag in most cases and I should only add it if the name differs. (see > example <https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3462662558>> ) I kind of see his point, but what do you think? Should we only add a brand tag if it differs from the name?
> I thought adding brand= to all 'branded' objects would be helpful because it goes hand in hand with brand:wikidata= which I would add to all of them.
> Greetings,> Leon.

brand tag is typically ignored and everybody tags and uses name tag (even in situations where

it is disputable is it really name)

but if somebody wants adding brand tag is not harmful (only in cases where edit is done after

verification, not added in blind remote edit based solely on name match/similarity)

PS

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Brands <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Brands> looks like redoing

https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index <https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index> in worse format