[Tagging] brand=* necessary?

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu May 10 15:23:08 UTC 2018

> The reason why it is done differently is not an educated decision but the result of poor presets and mappers filling them in without further reflection.

Sure, but uneducated decisions reveal a lot about people's intuitions
and interests – two factors that deserve to be taken into account.

When mappers can fill in data without further reflection and still
produce useful results (which I argue is the case here) then that
strikes me as a huge usability win!

> It is also a result of how the tags have been introduced

It's true that brand was introduced later than name, and that it has
been at a disadvantage due to rendering support and the key's history.

That's probably not a coincidence, though. I assume it was introduced
and adopted more slowly precisely because not that many people were
interested in making the distinction in the first place.