[Tagging] brand=* necessary?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 10 15:41:59 UTC 2018

Hi,

> It is also a result of how the tags have been introduced, name was used much earlier than brand (which was originally only proposed for automotive brands) so that there is some self-amplifying process of people looking around how things are done and doing it similarly. And maybe most important, osm carto doesn’t render brands, which is sufficient reason for many maybe most mappers to prefer name.

"brand" is an artificial construct of today's global capitalist economy.
I have nothing against OSM recording it, but I'd be loathe to afford the
concept the same importance as corporate PR departments do.

Knowing what brand a store belongs to is only worth anything if you
combine that with OSM-external "knowledge" that you have gained from
marketing material or past experiences with different branches of the
same brand. It is not a useful fact that helps a visitor who doesn't
know anything about the brand's supposed image.

Bye
Frederik