[Tagging] key: starting=yes ??

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri May 11 09:33:12 UTC 2018

> Well, in a roundtrip there are often multiple designated starting points
> with a parking lot, information panels, bus stop or railway statin nearby,
> toilets. These designated starting points are commonly shown on paper maps
> and tourist maps, and present themselves as starting points.
>
> I do not see how this is recorded by adding ways.

I agree it is worth tagging (if objectively observable / signposted), and
agree with Mateusz it has to be part of the route relation, not a node. My
suggestion would be to add a node (or more if needed) to the route relation
with the role "start" or "starting_point".
There are already 3476 role "start" in route relations by the way:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/relations/route#roles

And I have found some docu in the wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:roundtrip
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dfitness_trail