[Tagging] tagging of one-way cycle lanes

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat May 12 21:26:56 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

On 12. May 2018, at 20:27, Steve Doerr <doerr.stephen at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Actually, while I know about and abide to the wiki definition, I don't think it is intuitive to count some lanes and other not.
>
> We do that because of a UN convention: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2011-September/008578.html

this convention is not even signed by many countries like the US, Canada, China, Japan, Ireland, UK, Australia and many more. Only a minority of countries is party to the treaty. And the convention has a significantly different definition, as it requires the lane to be suitable for motor vehicles _other than motorcycles_. If you omit this part (like the OSM definition does) it really doesn’t make sense.

FWIW, I would not have put motor vehicle but rather vehicle.

WRT routing etc., as long as you can read (e.g. calculate) from the data which kind of lane the lanes are, the exact way how the information is stored is only about ease of use, not about impossibility to use the information, so the tag should be defined in a way that it appears most intuitive to the mappers hence least error prone. Apparently from this discussion, people have different expectations what they regard as a lane.

Cheers,
Martin