[Tagging] tagging of one-way cycle lanes

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Sun May 13 21:34:40 UTC 2018

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Bryan Housel <bryan at 7thposition.com> wrote:

> It kind of makes one question whether a community edited wiki is a good
> way to standardize a tagging scheme intended to produce a coherant mapping
> dataset.  Bold suggestion: maybe the people who write the tools should just
> get together over beers and decide what all the tags should be.  I’ll buy!
>
> Until then, I think it would be great if people are nicer to one another,
> respect each other’s viewpoints, be willing to be wrong, and don't take
> either the established tagging or the wiki too seriously.  Everything in
> OSM is broken to some degree, but everything in OSM can be improved if
> people care enough to do so.

I've long said that the final arbiters of tagging should be the
intermediate consumers of the data - not the end users, but rather the
people who implement the routers, renderers, navigation systems,. search
engines, and so on that present the data to the end users. They are the
ones who have the knowledge of both what features and attributes will be
relevant to their communities and what tagging will make it easier to do
the job of rendering, routing, navigation, search and so on.

Arguing in a vacuum about whether the tags will have the 'right' semantics
in some sort of ideal Platonic sense is ultimately fruitless.

(And +1 on being nice! Be careful that isguided mapping doesn't ascend to
the level of vandalism, but even policing that can be done in a nicer way.)