[Tagging] Seasonal, intermittent, and ephemeral water tags

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Mon May 21 18:44:01 UTC 2018

I remember to have map north of Mali rivers in semi-desertic areas that have no water for years. We should not confuse intermittent and seasonal. Simply clarify intermittent on the wiki page.

Pierre
Warin
Sat May 19 02:33:18 UTC 2018  Hi,

I seek comments and thoughts on

-------------

Seasonal:

The seasonal tag in well established. I don't think there is much
confusion with it.

---------------

Intermittent:

The intermittent tag continues to be confused with seasonal.

Possibly this is because some want to use it to indicate that a follow
is both seasonal and intermittent?

-------------

Ephemeral:

There is also ephemeral being used with stream=ephemeral. This cannot be
used with other water features e.g. lakes.

I think the tag ephemeral=yes could be used, other ideas for tagging are
flow=ephemeral, water=ephemeral ...

-------------------

Combinations with seasonal?

Think I have raised this before but not come to any firm conclusion myself.

I think that tagging

seasonal=summer

intermittent= yes

leads to confusion. Is the summer flow intermittent? Or is ther regular
summer flow with intermittent flow at other times of year?

It may be better to tag

seasonal:intermittent=summer

or

seasonal=summer

seasonal:intermittent=winter;autumn;spring