[Tagging] Seasonal, intermittent, and ephemeral water tags

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon May 28 05:50:31 UTC 2018

With the present OSM interpretation of 'intermittent' being any thing
other than perennial, I think there needs to be a new tag to take the
place (of what I think is 'intermittent') between seasonal and ephemeral.

Present tagging looks to be

Perennial: Always has water - OSM default - no sub tag used

Intermittent: May not have water .. how long and when not or poorly
defined.

--------
Seasonal: Has water on a yearly cycle. The season/s can be added as value/s.

New tags? For things that are non seasonal.

Irregular: Has water randomly - not on a yearly cycle. It could have
water every year or no water for 10 or more years. This is distinct from
seasonal.

Ephemeral: Has water for short duration, mostly dry. Similar to
irregular in that it may not have a yearly cycle.

In order to distinguish between 'irregular' and 'ephemeral' the
'irregular' should have a minimum presence of water, say 7 days.

Not fixed on the name 'irregular' .. but an adjective of 'irregular' is
intermittent.  :)