[Tagging] highway=service // public road?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed May 23 08:04:55 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 23. May 2018, at 09:18, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:
>
> - Is service a street category below unclassified/residential?
> - Does a service road typically have a right of way for the public?
> - Is service usage "just because there is only one house/company/farm"
>  valid?

in the countryside  I map either driveways (on private property) or access roads to “things” (e.g. smaller power facilities) as service, but I use hw service and service=alley for very small public ways which do not have access restrictions but width doesn’t permit using them with a car (or hardly), typically I add a width tag (or maxwidth if there is a sign). I am writing about historic context mostly, these ways might be used by the locals to access their house with small vehicles (e.g. for loading) and motorcycles, and they are public roads in terms of property and maintenance. Often they are interrupted by steps though (so they won’t be used for through traffic besides pedestrians).

TL;DR;
yes, besides service=alley which are public roads.

cheers,
Martin