[Tagging] highway=service // public road?

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed May 23 11:16:04 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 10:12:42AM +0200, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> 23. May 2018 07:18 by f at zz.de <mailto:f at zz.de>:
>
> > It is a piece of tarmac
>
> Service road may have any surface,
> not only asphalt. Surface is indicated by
> surface tag, not highway tag (except
>
> highway=motorway that indicates high quality surface).

This was a short form of "somebody built a road" - Not necessary tarmac
although in Germany most roads are paved :)

> This applies to all road types (up to
> highway=motorway sometimes build by private companies,
> as a toll roads).

Thats a little nitpicking - I know that some public official
does not take his shovel and builds a street themselves.

Toll road btw is a complete different beast.

> >  public most likely
> > does not have a right of way although this might need additional
> > tagging.

> I would always tag access=private for private road rather
> than leaving it as supposedly obvious.

When there is a sign "Private road" i wouldnt tag anything. Thats
just a liability issue. When there is "Access prohibited" or
something its probably okay with "access=private"

Flo