[Tagging] highway=service // public road?

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:28:43 UTC 2018

> in the past 10 years or so my impression of a service road was that it
is typically not a public road per se and not part of the other roads
classifications. It is a piece of tarmac built for a specific purpose by
somebody not necessarily the public authorities. The public most likely
does not have a right of way although this might need additional
tagging.

A significant proportion of the highway=service objects in OSM won't meet
that assumption. Think alley ways.

> - Is service a street category below unclassified/residential?

Yes

> - Does a service road typically have a right of way for the public?

It might make sense for highway=service + service=driveway to assume
access=private, but service=alley I would assume to be a public road just
like any other and at for a lot of regions almost all would be public roads.

It's best to explicitly spell out the access (access=*) separately from the
classification (highway=*) to avoid any doubt.