[Tagging] highway=service // public road?

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed May 23 13:09:14 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 10:28:43PM +1000, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> > in the past 10 years or so my impression of a service road was that it
> > is typically not a public road per se and not part of the other roads
> > classifications. It is a piece of tarmac built for a specific purpose by
> > somebody not necessarily the public authorities. The public most likely
> > does not have a right of way although this might need additional
> > tagging.
> >
> A significant proportion of the highway=service objects in OSM won't meet
> that assumption. Think alley ways.

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/service#values

Looking at the values only 10% of the service=* are alley.

What about highway=service without service=* ?

> > - Does a service road typically have a right of way for the public?
>
> It might make sense for highway=service + service=driveway to assume
> access=private, but service=alley I would assume to be a public road just
> like any other and at for a lot of regions almost all would be public roads.
>
> It's best to explicitly spell out the access (access=*) separately from the
> classification (highway=*) to avoid any doubt.

That it makes sense to tag this explicitly makes sense.

The point is that in Ukraine and Russia routing default assumes
highway=service to be acces=destination. For me that makes perfectly
sense beeing service not a through or public road.

Germany does not make such an assumption although i would very much
appreciate this.

Flo