[Tagging] highway=service // public road?

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed May 23 13:22:21 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 03:09:14PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 10:28:43PM +1000, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> > > in the past 10 years or so my impression of a service road was that it
> > > is typically not a public road per se and not part of the other roads
> > > classifications. It is a piece of tarmac built for a specific purpose by
> > > somebody not necessarily the public authorities. The public most likely
> > > does not have a right of way although this might need additional
> > > tagging.
> > >
> > A significant proportion of the highway=service objects in OSM won't meet
> > that assumption. Think alley ways.
>
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/service#values
>
> Looking at the values only 10% of the service=* are alley.
>
> What about highway=service without service=* ?

An interesting point is that of all highway=service only
4% have an service=alley. So there must be some highway!=service
which carry an service=alley.

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/highway=service#combinations

37% percent carry an service=* tag

I am assume service=parking_aisle, driveway out of scope. Its pretty
clear what that means.

The question is is a highway=service without service=* a replacement
for an unclassified.

IMHO not

Flo