[Tagging] highway=service // public road?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat May 26 08:46:08 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 26. May 2018, at 10:41, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don’t mind, but it isn’t necessary for tag consistency (only if you want service to be private)

the highway page sees service roads as part of the road network btw:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway
no mention it should be used for private roads only.

the service page reads:
v · d · e highway = service

Description
Generally for access to a building, service station, beach, campsite, industrial estate, business park, etc.
Group: Highways
Used on these elements

Useful combination
name=*
service=*
Wikidata
Search Wikidata

Tools for this tag
taginfo · GB · IE · IN
overpass-turbo
Generally for access to a building, service station, beach, campsite, industrial estate, business park, etc. This is also commonly used for access to parking, driveways, and alleys.

cheers,
Martin