[Tagging] highway=service // public road?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat May 26 14:54:15 UTC 2018

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 26. May 2018, at 10:41, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don’t mind, but it isn’t necessary for tag consistency (only if you want service to be private)
>

> the highway page sees service roads as part of the road network btw:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway
> no mention it should be used for private roads only.
>
> the service page reads:
> v · d · e highway = service

My point about "real road" vs "paved place you can drive that isn't a
real road" is not really about access=yes/private, which is a separate
issue.  But, my point may be more local than I think it is.

And to answer "how do you tell"?  Well, you have to look at a lot of
things, sometimes including town property data, and various clues, and
make your best guess, and fix it later if you realize you are wrong.  A
big clue is a street sign put up by the same authority that puts up
regular road signs.

I certainly do not change keys at property boundaries for driveways off
public roads.  I use highway=service service=driveway for the entire
length of the way, even the end part that is within the government-owned
road parcel.