[Tagging] marking shop as street vendor

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun May 27 23:07:57 UTC 2018

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 11:49 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So for clarification, when there's a market that only operates on eg
> Saturday mornings https://www.google.com/maps/@-
> 28.0861864,153.4491747,3a,75y,247.72h,87.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!
> 3m4!1saCnCOKIP7GoJVWDi7JZ0yg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656, which is tagged in OSM
> as amenity=marketplace; opening_hours=those https://
> www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-28.08616/153.44888, should that also be
> tagged as street vendors, or not, as they're not actually on the "street",
> but are set-up under tents / pergolas etc on the School oval?
>
> Same thing when the market is in a public park - street vendor or not?

I'd say the same answer applies to both.  If the stalls have assigned
locations (rather than being placed at
random) and the same vendor gets the same location each time then the tag
street_vendor would apply
even though they're not on a street.  Arguably we need a better name for a
tag that covers those situations
as well as those given in the original proposal.  But I suspect that if I
proposed ephemeral_vendor or
intermittent_vendor the debate could drag on for years.  I'd suggest
open_air_vendor but it's stretching
things a bit when you consider mobile catering vans.  How about
outdoor_vendor?

However, both of the examples you give are the sort that usually don't have
fixed assignments for vendors
so you couldn't map them at stall level anyway.