[Tagging] marking shop as street vendor

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 11:46:39 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 12:37 AM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Would you tag the entire area eg https://www.google.com/
> maps/@-28.0641793,153.4386994,81m/data=!3m1!1e3 as outdoor_vendor
> though?, or is that considered implicit in it being a marketplace?

My understanding (which may be totally wrong) of the proposal is that
outdoor_vendor applies to
individual "shops."  I see "marketplace" as being one of several collective
nouns for outdoor_vendor/
street_vendor/whatever_we_call_it_vendor.  So, a marketplace of outdoor
vendors; a street of outdoor
vendors, a public square of outdoor vendors, etc.

Then again, maybe it's useful to be able to apply the tag to an area where
outdoor vendors congregate
but are not assigned permanent plots.  Or maybe we need a different tag (or
at least a different value
for the tag) to distinguish that case.

Having thought about it some more, maybe we need something more than =yes
to distinguish between
things like food vans that are driven away overnight and things like the
market stalls I posted pictures of
where the structures are fixed but the goods for sale are removed
overnight.  In the first case if you look
at night you won't see any sign that a vendor is ever there; in the second
case you see a structure but
(without map info) don't know what it sells.

--
Paul