[Tagging] marking shop as street vendor

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed May 30 12:14:22 UTC 2018

28. May 2018 13:46 by pla16021 at gmail.com <mailto:pla16021 at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 12:37 AM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <> graemefitz1 at gmail.com <mailto:graemefitz1 at gmail.com>> > wrote:
>

>> Would you tag the entire area eg >> https://www.google.com/maps/@-28.0641793,153.4386994,81m/data=!3m1!1e3 <https://www.google.com/maps/@-28.0641793,153.4386994,81m/data=!3m1!1e3>>>  as outdoor_vendor though?, or is that considered implicit in it being a marketplace?
>
> My understanding (which may be totally wrong) of the proposal is that outdoor_vendor applies to
> individual "shops."  I see "marketplace" as being one of several collective nouns for outdoor_vendor/
> street_vendor/whatever_we_call_it_vendor.  So, a marketplace of outdoor vendors; a street of outdoor
> vendors, a public square of outdoor vendors, etc.

I have no considered it before but it may make sense to use it at amenity=marketplace in

some situations so I made an edit:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/street_vendor%3Dyes&diff=1613576&oldid=1612755 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/street_vendor%3Dyes&diff=1613576&oldid=1612755>

> Having thought about it some more, maybe we need something more than =yes to distinguish between
> things like food vans that are driven away overnight and things like the market stalls I posted pictures of
> where the structures are fixed but the goods for sale are removed overnight.  In the first case if you look
> at night you won't see any sign that a vendor is ever there; in the second case you see a structure but
> (without map info) don't know what it sells.

 I am not convinced that spending time on defining values in such detail, but as I am not opposed to

that I will not explicitly define it as limited only to yes/no values.

If someone see value in additional values - feel free to propose something by editing

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/street_vendor%3Dyes <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/street_vendor%3Dyes>

(though I am not promising that I will use it in the final version).