[Tagging] roundtrip

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon May 28 12:46:09 UTC 2018

Nice to know.
Do they have "trailheads" as well? That is, areas with amenities like
parking space, bicycle clamps, toilets, guideposts, infoboards, ice  cream
vending spot, waste containers, horse food dispenser, soda machines,
blister service, ... well, some of of those anyway, clearly meant as
starting/ending point of one or more trails? I'm told there are official
trailheads in the United States, and we have those in Nederland as well,
called TOP's.

>> I agree that it sounds round, but looking at google results I find that
>> this use of circular route is extremely common.
>>

> That doesn't surprise me in the context of hiking/cycling trails (I am not
> commenting on public transport). A specific example I am familiar with: the
> national organisation responsible for trails in the Republic of Ireland (
> irishtrails.ie) systematically labels trails as either "format: linear"
> or "format: circular". Its counterpart in Northern Ireland (walkni.com)
> similarly uses "route shape: linear" or "route shape: circular".
>
> Of course many of the linear trails are far from a geometric straight
> line, and the circular trails often do not resemble geometric circles.
> Readers are trusted to understand that "circular" means that if you follow
> the waymarks for the stated distance, you will return to the same point
> without backtracking on your own footsteps (or not much, often there may be
> a short section at the start that is covered in both directions). While
> "linear" means that if you walk the official distance you will end up some
> way from your start point. It may well be possible to return by the same
> route, but that would mean covering twice the official distance.

Vr gr Peter Elderson