[Tagging] new role for route relations: reverse

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Mon May 28 17:33:58 UTC 2018

Replying specifically to this point:

*Sure, renderers and routers might cope with the bus going to point X and
magically*

*switching its direction of travel by 180 degrees but it's a bit puzzling
for dataconsumers.  Does the bus go out of service there?  Is it a
terminus?  Has the mapper*

*made a big mistake in the route?  Did some other mapper come along
andaccidentally delete part of the route?  Etc.*

I have mapped a fairly significant number of routes where exactly that
happens. The bus enters a way and exits the way, traversing it twice. It
seems to me to be nothing out of the ordinary.

But if this might really be a problem for consumers, you could add a
description=* tag to the way rather than the note=* that I suggested. If
this is the main reason for the proposed role, I would not be in favor of
it. The second traversal is not really "reverse" in any sense. The
traverses the way forward (south to north, say) the first time and the
other direction (north to south) the second time. The traversals are
consecutive. Totally normal in my view.