[Tagging] RFC proposed water property key 'ephemeral '

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue May 29 22:31:55 UTC 2018

On 29/05/18 20:52, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 12:06 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>

>     Adding intermittent=yes to seasonal=yes adds no usefull
>     information either.
>
> That depends how you interpret it.  Which would depend, to some
> extent, how it was documented.
>
>     The seasonal=yes says it is non perennial all by it self.
>

> You're interpreting seasonal as being a specific case of intermittent:
> sometimes there is water
> and sometimes there isn't; the water is present (for example) in
> summer but not other times of year.
>
> Try this alternative interpretation which is meaningful: there is
> water there in summer but not
> at other times of year however, even in summer, that flow is intermittent.

In that case I would tag

intermittent=summer

The tag is much clear than
intermittent=yes
seasonal=summer
that could be taken (and how I would interpret it) to have a summer
water presence with intermittent water at other times of the year.

> That, i think, would make such a combination meaningful.  Not
> necessarily how people
> would interpret it without further explanation, which would be an
> argument against such
> use, but meaningful.

The tags should 'make sense' without requiring further explanation ...
as that generates these kind of problems.