[Tagging] RFC proposed water property key 'ephemeral '

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Wed May 30 05:23:31 UTC 2018

I would like to repeat (slightly extended) the contents of my previous post of how to interpret these tags:

The default state (no tags) is:

water (usually) always present

The seasonal, intermittent and ephemeral tags (allowing season or month timeframes in addition to yes) say:

The value yes and no define a new default state for the whole year (based on tag).

Other values define:

For these times, the explicit state is: the water (usually) always present, is intermittent, or is ephemeral

For all other times, the default state is: (usually) never present.

Always present overrides intermittent overrides ephemeral overrides not present.

Explicit state always overwrites default state.

These specific rules would result in exactly the interpretation you’ve given below.

intermittent=summer

In summer: explicit state = intermittent

Otherwise: default state = not present

intermittent=yes

default state = intermittent

seasonal=summer

in summer: explicit state= always present

otherwise: default state = not present

in combination:

in summer: explicit state= always present