[Tagging] RFC proposed water property key 'ephemeral '

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed May 30 23:02:22 UTC 2018

On 30/05/18 21:55, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> 30. May 2018 00:31 by 61sundowner at gmail.com
> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>
>     In that case I would tag
>
>     intermittent=summer
>

> (...)
>
>     The tags should 'make sense' without requiring further explanation
>     ... as that generates these kind of problems.
>

> I strongly oppose bolting on additional unclear values to tag where
> 99.99% values are yes/no.
>

> See https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/intermittent#values 98.68%
> for yes, 1.31% for no,
>
> all other values together 0.01%.
>

> Especially as intermittent=summer may easily mean:
>

> "intermittent during summer, water present otherwise"
>
> "intermittent during summer, no water otherwise"
>

> Intermittent is nice, clean tag without overly complicated syntax and
> it should stay this way.

The question asked was 'how would you tag it'.

I answered how I would tag it. Note - with the increased use of
'intermittent' as a way of having seasonal rendered I will not be using
the 'intermittent' tag again.
In fact I see it as a nonsense tag due to its multiple OSM meanings.
So i will be using tags that are more tightly defined .. like seasonal
(by it self).
If renders chose not to render the tag seasonal that is their choice,
not up to mappers to use another tag to have it rendered.

I take it there are not further comments on the topic (the subject of
this thread) of 'ephemeral'?