[Tagging] Public Transport Timetables Proposal RFC

Leif Rasmussen 354lbr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 22:32:14 UTC 2018

The timetable proposal would not affect existing OSM data.  It would simply
add new relations having existing features as members of those relations.
If timetables are out of date for a certain route, a contributor could
simply delete all of the timetable relations that are parents of that
route.  Rather than maintainability being the issue, it would be actually
re-adding the deleted data that would be hard.
This type of data is more useful on train routes, which are better
maintained than bus routes.  Bus routes with complex or often changing
schedules should just be given the tags "interval" and
"interval:conditional" and not full schedule data.
My main point is that no harm can be done by this proposal.  If people
don't like timetables, they can simply ignore them.  If they are not being
maintained, the relations can easily be deleted without affecting the
routes in place.  No harm done.  In many cases, however, bus route and
train route schedules are very simply, and it would be a shame to not be
able to add schedule data to those routes.

Before voting, I will split up the proposal into three different proposals.
* The "interval" tag.
* Full ferry route timetables.
* Timetable relations.
This way, people can choose to approve some of the new features and vote
against others.

What do people think of the ferry route schedules proposal?  I have only
heard feedback on bus routes so far, and I am not sure what people think of
the ferry route system that I have come up with.  It would simply just be a
couple of new tags added to ferry route ways.

Thanks,
Leif Rasmussen