[Tagging] How to tag named group of named water areas?

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 3 10:30:31 UTC 2018

Hi

On 02/11/2018 01:43, Allan Mustard wrote:

> I don't see a problem with duplicating a tag in both the relation and
> sections of the object.  In my case I have been mapping the national
> highway network of Turkmenistan the last few months.  I have created
> relations so that all segments belong to one or more highways (P-1
> from Ashgabat to Koneurgench, for example). However, most map
> renderers will not indicate that

Yours is a common & increasing misunderstanding of relations. There's a
belief that:

a) Everything has to be linked together.
&
b) Relations are the only way to link them.

You're also misunderstanding the purpose of the route relation which is
to indicate a regular, often used path taken by travellers which cross
*different* roads, paths, rivers etc.

Duplication of data leads to confusion, wasted time & errors.
Please refrain from mapping in this way.

> , plus the road is known to locals in most areas by that name, so I
> have also added it to the name=* and ref=* tags.

The way it's known is by it's reference number. It does not have a name.
This is just more unnecessary duplication.

DaveF