[Tagging] How to tag named group of named water areas?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 14:50:40 UTC 2018

I probably should make a clarification about what I mean about "logically
belonging" to the relation.

On a road route, it wouldn't make sense to put 'lanes=2' or
'surface=concrete' on a road route, even if all the component ways happen
to have that characteristic. There's nothing to keep the highway department
from repaving one component way as 'surface=asphalt' or widening to
'lanes=4', and a mapper is likely to miss the fact that the relation is
claiming an attribute that properly belongs to the way.

On the other hand, network=*, ref=* operator=*, symbol=*, name=* and
similar attributes logically belong to the route itself, and won't change
as part of maintenance of the way. They go on the relation. For routes
(including route=pipeline, which is what we have here),
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route tries to tabulate the
suggested keys that belong to the route itself.

On a multipolygon, as I observed before, every attribute belongs to the
multipolygon unless the way has some existence apart from its role in
defining the multipolygon boundary.