[Tagging] How to tag named group of named water areas?

Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 4 09:14:10 UTC 2018

If we follow Daves idea one might create a relation combining a few things
that have the same tag, e.g. all building=residential in a town, name it
something like "residential buildings" and finally remove the tags from
those buildings. I hope nobody thinks this would be a good idea.

Reg. the TAP pipeline (I was the complaining user that Dave mentioned): I
did not even know that something like a route=pipeline exists before I saw
that Dave removed the tags from the member way. The same seems to be true
for JOSM developers because the way is no longer rendered as a pipeline in
JOSM.
Well, that might be something that should be fixed in JOSM.

I think Dave wants to use relations as a general method to remove
redundancy. The idea is not new and I think there similar discussions
before. I think one of the arguments against it was that many editors are
not able to handle relations good enough, I fear this is still true. I think
the same problem is on the consumer side:
A renderer or routing app has to know which types of relations might contain
information that has to be transferred to the members, it cannot do that
with a simple rule like "if a way is the member of a relation, copy all
attributes of the relation to the way". Just think about cases where a
highway is member of several route relations.
So, if one starts to remove tags from members because the relation repeats
the tag he has to make sure that this is a well established method. Not sure
if this is the case for pipelines?

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html