[Tagging] How to tag named group of named water areas?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 13:57:38 UTC 2018

On 11/7/18 2:27 AM, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> I provided two examples from the Wiki and a part of a response earlier
> in this thread from Kevin Kenny to support my argument that state that
> individual ways in a multipolygon or relation should not be tagged
> unless their characteristics require it.  If you're working with a
> route=road and the surface changes, you split the way and mark it so.
> Same with maxspeed or number of lanes. The characteristics are those
> of the way, not the entire route, and rightly belong only on the way.
> In the case of the pipeline, tags like man_made=pipeline,
> substance=oil, operator, Wikipedia and Wikidata tags, belong in the
> relation. The people who first added the pipeline to OSM did it both
> ways, probably to guarantee that it would be visible to OSM or other
> data consumers, but I don't know.

That isn''t quite what I said.

What I said is that attributes that conceptually *might* be different on
separate ways of a relation belong on the ways. What goes on the
relation are the things that define it as a relation.

For a multipolygon, that's everything. A multipolygon is nothing more
nor less than an area feature with any topology more complex than a
simple closed way. The way gets tagging only if there's stuff that
really belongs to it; an example would be an administrative region that
ends at the coastline.

For a route, what goes on the relation is specifically the name of the
route (if it has one that might be separate from the names of the
constituent ways - for example, the Erie Canalway briefly follows State
Street), the network, the reference number, and any descriptive
information such as operator, website, length, hours, ... The physical
attributes (highway=*, surface=*, etc.) go on the component ways.

For a group, it's even less. The Great Lakes relation has pretty much
just a name and the component relations for the individual lakes.

Sorry if my earlier explanation was confusing.