[Tagging] Government Archives

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 23:44:39 UTC 2018

On 08/11/18 09:05, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 at 05:53, marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
> <mailto:marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     amenity=public_building is depreciated
>     it is better to take a more precise tag, especially due
>     that not all government archives aren't open to the public.

The 3 I know of are public access .. at least to the 'unclassified' stuff.

These have 'off site storage' where things that cannot be kept on the
site are stored. If requested stuff in the 'off site storage' is moved
to the main facility. While the 'off site storage'  is not it self
accessible the materials stored there are.
I'd classify these 'off site storage' areas as warehouses, access=no.
But they are not the places people go to get access to stuff.

Which ones are not public access, other than these 'off site storage'
warehouses?

> & even if the public are allowed access, it will only be to the
> Reading Room / Information Desk, not to the storage area
>
> So maybe
>
> office=government
> government=archive
> access=no
>
> for the entire building, with a additional node (perhaps library?) for
> the Reading Room +  access=public, with operating hours, contact
> details etc?

Most libraries don't have access to all areas ... will these too be
marked access=no with a node for the 'reading room?

When you go into a retail store .. you also don't get access to all
areas .. shall these too be marked access=no???

When you go to a police station - you don't have access to all areas ...
access=no?

When you go to an art galley - you don't have access to all areas ...
access=no?

And so on.