[Tagging] Government Archives

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 01:12:20 UTC 2018

On 08/11/18 02:20, Allan Mustard wrote:
> An archive is a special government office. Not a library and not a museum.

OSM says an office is a place that provides a 'service' - administrative or professional work is carried out - e.g. an architect, lawyer, accountant.

An archive is a place that stores old information.
Humm .. is giving me access to that information a service?

I think of an archive as more of a library than an office.

Not all libraries loan out the stuff they have, some only allow looking at it on the premises.
Libraries and archives store stuff so it can be found, archives have more of a preservation ethos, though some libraries also have that need.