[Tagging] Reversible Road tagging

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 22:11:09 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 04:05:49PM -0500, Jack Burke wrote:

> Following the KISS principle, barrier node tagging might be the way to go,
> at least initially.
>
> Barrier tagging Pros:
> * Easy to implement in routing (e.g., OsmAnd's routing.xml can process a
> node as barrier=1 or barrier=-1 based on the opening_hours times).

note that OsmAnd doesn't do any time dependent routing, or at it least it
didn't do it for a very long time.

> Barrier tagging Cons:
> * Having a hard time thinking of any.

might work to some extent but I see it as important deficit that the directionality
of the road isn't modelled.. sooner or later it will cause disaster. Imagine routers
to issue commands like "turn around and follow the road in opposite direction" when the
diver missed an exit for example.
Also, just one single entry point that someone has forgotten to tag with a barrier
or has the wrong time information and the router will send kamikaze drivers in the wrong
direction into the expressway.

My thought would be to have a variable time dependent number of lanes in each
direction.

Or "oneway" with conditional restrictions
 https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Conditional_restrictions

Richard