[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 110, Issue 70

Jack Burke burkejf3 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 17:24:43 UTC 2018

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 1:02 AM <tagging-request at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 21:04:57 +0100
> From: Richard <ricoz.osm at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
>         <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Reversible Road tagging
>
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 07:59:22PM +0100, yo paseopor wrote:
> > One little point
> >
> > Untill now GPS navigation is orientative, not compulsory, obligatory or
> > have-to-do. So instead your Osmand says you go in opposite direction, you
> > drive, you decide. No kamikaze please.
>
> correct, but it is not our intention to produce data that is better suited for
> kamikaze drivers than normal users.. is it?

Unfortunately, there *are* people out there who seem to blindly follow
instructions from their GPS navigation system and don't really do much
in the way of thinking....

> > yopaseopor
> > PD: conditional lanes tagging situation would be interesting with a new tag
> > (forward/backward/reversible), for example...
> >
> > lanes:forward=1
> > lanes:backward=1
> > lanes:reversible=1
> > reversible:forward=Mo-Su 07:00-09:00,15:30-17:30
> > reversible:backward=Mo-Su 9:00-15:30
> > reversible:closed=Mo-Su 17:30-07:00
>
> Imho conditional restrictions have everything we need, it provides perhaps a little
> bit more than that and we should pick one preferred method.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Conditional_restrictions#Evaluation_of_conflicting_restrictions
> - mentions lanes and directional restrictions explicitly
>
> so perhaps
> lanes=0
> lanes:forward:conditional=2 @ (09:00-17:00)
> lanes:backward:conditional=2 @ (17:01-8:59)

Well...this might work.

> I suspect there might be some places already tagged somehow similar like this
> but can't find them now..

If you do find them, please let me know, because I'd love to see
exactly how the tagging is done, and how routers handle it.

> As it has not been implemented in any routers that I know about it might be
> good to ask in the issue trackers of some routers if they have an idea what
> would be reasonably easy to implement.
>
> Richard

That's exactly what I intend to do.  I wanted to get a discussion
going here, first, with ideas, so that they'd have something to think
about.