[Tagging] Estimated values for height

Sergio Manzi smz at smz.it
Sun Nov 11 11:15:45 UTC 2018

Hello everybody,

I'm the one who, in the Italian mailing list, first brought out the issue about how to tag estimated heights (/in our context it was about trees height/).

My first proposal has been to use a new sub-key in which to store estimated values, as in "height:estimated=10".

Then I saw, here, the proposal of using "source:height=estimated", which is in use (/1543 entries, mostly applied to ways: see: /[1]), which I thought was a better solution then the one I originally conceived.

Now I see that there is a different solution in use, "height:source=estimated", which is less used (/149 entries, mostly applied to ways: see: /[2]), but *makes even more sense to me, from a syntactical point of view*.

Someone also proposed to use "height:accuracy=*" if the accuracy is known, but I think this could be used for an estimated value too (height:accuracy=estimated). On the other hand this doesn't seems to be in use anywhere even though it might be considered an even better solution both syntactically and semantically (/I think "source" should be used to identify "who" is the originator of the information/).

In any case I think the various est_(width|length|height|whatever) keys should be deprecated and a new universal solution to identify estimated values  should be adopted, taken from the ones described above (/or a new one I'm not thinking of//at this time/)/./

Regards,

Sergio

[1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/source%3Aheight=estimated
[2] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/height%3Asource=estimated