[Tagging] Estimated values for height

Sergio Manzi smz at smz.it
Tue Nov 13 20:50:20 UTC 2018

Hello!

On 2018-11-13 21:19, OSMDoudou wrote:
> What’s the fundamental difference (and thus main benefit ?) between measure:accuracy, accuracy:measure or est_height ? They’re all telling that the given height is an estimate within an undisclosed interval of confidence?

The difference is purely grammatical (/in the context of "programming/data-definition linguistic"/) and only one of the two should be adopted. Personally I lean towards the first form (/measure/:accuracy=*)

> I wonder if it’s not.better to accept that *any* measure is an estimate, and let mappers improve the accuracy, just like the drawing of a highway can be a poor or a great estimate, which improves over time as imagery or traces permit improvement.

About this, please read my previous post about "/guesstimating/".

It is anyway obvious that mappers have, in the past, felt the need to have a way to indicate measures only roughly taken. They did it by introducing the various est_* tags (e.g. see: [1] and [2]) and have been instructed to do that in the wiki (e.g.: see "Estimated values" in [3]).

> Even if the imagery is of great precision, it’s not a guarantee of.accuracy, as the mapper might be in a hurry or might not particularly care for accuracy, and leave to its successors to improve it.

This is by far beyond the scope of the current discussion/proposal and, I think, strongly related to Murphy's law [4].

Cheers!

Sergio

[1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/est_width
[2] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/est_height