[Tagging] Using multipolygons to map bays in Alaska

Ture Pålsson ture at turepalsson.se
Thu Nov 15 18:44:51 UTC 2018

> 15 nov. 2018 kl. 18:14 skrev Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de>:
>
> are completely non-verifiable.  They add data but they does not add any
> substantial information about the verifiable geographic reality to the
> database that could not be represented with a single node.

How can the size and shape of an area be represented by a single node?

Recently, somebody suggested adding a rotation_angle tag to place nodes as a hint to the map renderer on how to render labels, but was told that this information should be inferred from the geometry. Now we are being told that we should not map the geometry from which this information could be inferred? Ok, that was about countries, which have (mostly…) well-defined borders, but there are many objects that are named, but whose borders are, at best, fuzzy.