[Tagging] Neighborhood Gateway Signs?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 03:13:33 UTC 2018

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 at 11:48, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Here in Indonesia it is very common for neighbors to build sign over
> the main entrance to their neighborhood, with the name of the
> neighborhood on top and some other info on the two columns supporting
> the sign.

I asked this question a while back about similar types of signs, as to
whether they may come under artwork

These two aren't suburbs in their own right, only real-estate developments
/ perhaps neighbourhoods?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-28.0958424,153.4424594,3a,75y,316.46h,87.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sad969aKOue4bvLQYIjpBzg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-28.0536126,153.3996352,3a,75y,23.46h,80.66t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1s4kuMyAx5URHiMzxctVSVzA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i47?hl=en

And Hillcrest, San Diego has this historic sign right in the center of the
> retail district:

This one would have originally been pretty well on the outskirts, but is
now in the centre of what is now a main suburb, & was built to show all the
services that were available in Burleigh Heads at that time. It's been in
place for something over 50 years (& some of those services aren't actually
available any more!)

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-28.0884156,153.4519354,3a,37.5y,267.38h,116.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7dO5hySbj_W3RsbwmX1qkQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

> These can't be "city limit" / "town limit" signs, because they are
> just for a neighborhood and they are near the center rather than at
> the border.

Most responses said "city limits" or similar.

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 at 12:34, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> For all the examples you give, they're not very useful as signs in terms
> of giving directions, and they have a more ceremonial role. I wonder if
> what we're dealing with isn't a public sculpture.

One response to my question was:

"I view them as informative - same as street naming signs - I would not map
the signs them selves into OSM but I would map the feature with the name in
OSM.

I do not see than as art - their main function is information, making them
'pretty' as art is nice but that is not their main function."

I'm still in two minds, so haven't done anything with them at all.

No, they're not really direction signs as your address isn't Dunlin Drive,
Burleigh Cove, it's actually Burleigh Waters. Same thing for The Moorings -
your address is Clear Island Waters, so they're not an admin boundary.

Artwork / sculpture may be correct?

Thanks

Graeme