[Tagging] Using multipolygons to map bays in Alaska

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 11:41:23 UTC 2018

Re: really huge relations.

The Great Lakes are mapped (and rendered) with multipolygon relations.

Also, the even bigger island of New Guinea has all of its coastline
included in a multipolygon. I don’t know about Greenland or Madagascar, but
I believe it would be considered correct to map them in this way.

The key difference for OSM is that an island is verifiable as a landmass
surrounded by water, while a bay is indefinite on one side.