[Tagging] Add some tag to identify disputed borders

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 10:45:04 UTC 2018

>> On 23. Nov 2018, at 17:33, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> We should be therefore able to repurpose the roles in a type=boundary relation to store information about claimed, "de facto", and "de jure" borders
>
> can you give a definition for de jure?
> Which law applies?

Notwithstanding that I don't think we can repurpose roles for this, as
already mentioned, I think you need to look at actual examples rather
talk in the abstract.

To take Western Sahara as an example,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Western_Sahara#United_Nations
etc. describes the international political situation.  What would you
say was the "de jure" border there and on what basis? According to
MINURSO https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/mission/minurso they are
"preparing for a choice", rather than directly trying to establish an
independent Western Sahara.

Maybe part of the "de jure" list could come from those places in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_list_of_Non-Self-Governing_Territories#Current_entries
(but excluding those for which there is no other claimant) would help?
That names "Western Sahara", although it doesn't define its borders here.

Best Regards,

Andy