[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Mapping disputed boundaries

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Wed Nov 28 09:58:02 UTC 2018

After looking at the feedback, I have had a major realization that I think
makes the proposal much more viable while not adding innumerable new
relations.

Please see:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Mapping_disputed_boundaries#.22Disputed_Area.22_and_.22Zone_of_Control.22

Briefly, the idea is to divide the world into Disputed Areas (with possible
subareas of Zones of Control), along with the notion of a "Lesser
(countryname)" which can be thought of as a rump version of the country
minus all its disputed areas.

So, specifically in the case of Crimea, you would have:

Disputed Area: Crimea
claimed_by: RU;UA
acceptance:claim:FR=UA
acceptance:claim:PK=neutral
acceptance:claim:AF=RU
...etc...

Zones of Control: 1
Zone #1
controlled_by=RU

The referenced link goes into more detail and provides a simple algorithm
for creating maps of the world from different points of view.

John