[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - boundary=aboriginal_lands

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Nov 28 21:54:34 UTC 2018

28. Nov 2018 19:45 by daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl <mailto:daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl>:

> W dniu 28.11.2018 o 17:23, Doug Hembry pisze:
>
>> The point is taken about the workload and lack of coders. It has
>> always amazed me that the team manages to produce a robust, attractive
>> and coherent map from the disparate tagging styles and sometime
>> slightly weird practices that can be found in the database (I'd love
>> to help but I think my coding years are behind me).
>

> This is complex process and don't worry - coding is typically not the
> hardest part of it. Analysing the meaning of tagging schemes, and how
> they are used, is a common part of preparing rendering. Also finding
> clear design, which is not in conflict with something we already show,
> can be difficult.

And there is one more time-consuming part:

testing across diverse locations whatever given styling works well (or at least is it

acceptable).

For example in case of https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1736 <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1736>

I would estimate effort to go roughly

- 1% setup (as most of the development environment was already existing)

- 5% researching tagging (as roads tagging is relatively well established)

- 10% researching other maps

- 5% coding

- 10% testing whatever my code works as expected

- 40% testing whatever rendering works well, tweak colour/width/zoom settings and repeat

- 24% communication (via diary, issues, pull requests, mails etc)

- 4% asking others what is their comment of given style

- 1% administrative GSoC overhead

note: "collecting new ideas for styling" is not appearing above as there was no dedicated

time for that (except "researching other maps"), I noted new ideas as they appeared

during other tasks or during day.

beware: it was 3 years ago, and this is based on my memories