[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - boundary=aboriginal_lands

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Nov 29 02:52:50 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 7:46 PM Alan McConchie <alan.mcconchie at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I want to take your feedback with the weight and respect it deserves. I
> see you voted against "boundary=aboriginal_lands" on the wiki because you
> prefer "boundary=administrative". Can you clarify more about your proposed
> alternative?
>

> In this thread I see you're a fan of admin_level=*, but what admin_level
> do you propose? The problem I see with that tag is that it follows a strict
> hierarchy, which reservations don't always follow. It's the hierarchical
> nature of boundary=administrative that I get hung up on, which is why I
> like that boundary=aboriginal_lands can exist parallel to that hierarchy.
>
> For example, if we used boundary=administrative + admin_level=3 (as Kevin
> Kenny suggested in this thread) that seems clearly wrong for the few
> reservations that cross national boundaries, like Akwesasne.

I don't know if a consistent administrative level is possible given the
context of each particular tribe and it's respective relationship with the
US and Canada.  This may need to be determined on a case-by-case
situation.  I do think that admin_level=3 is a pretty reasonable in the US
because within tribal lands, if at least one party is a tribal citizen of
the nation they're in, I'm not aware of one that doesn't automatically
moves jurisdiction to tribal or federal courts *exclusively,* with state
and county courts not having jurisdiction.  In some cases, this might apply
to any criminal or civil case within the jurisdiction regardless of who is
involved.

> I can understand how others might see boundary=aboriginal_lands as a tag
> that carries less respect. But I don't see it that way.

Part of it is the strong tendency of folks making renders to fill-shade the
tribal territory like it's a park, wildlife preserve or zoo.  Carto used to
have a green "IR" hatch that was almost indistinguishable from the same
colored "NR" hatch for indian reservations (which was easily half of my
annoyance on the subject in 2013).  Treating tribal boundaries as other
political boundaries humanizes the situation.