[Tagging] Traffic sign direction tagging..

Bryan Housel bhousel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:44:21 UTC 2018

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 5:23 PM, yo paseopor <yopaseopor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > ^ This is the problem.  The wiki says we are supposed to do something like `traffic_sign:forward=US:R1`, and we can't really do that. A preset needs to be based on a "toplevel" tag like `traffic_sign=*` not `traffic_sign:forward=*` or `traffic_sign:backward=*` (remember seamark? many of their tags have this issue too, where they put a value in the key part, and so we can’t turn it into a preset).
>
>  JOSM can do this change (when you change a way) as you can see on https://i.imgur.com/NnLpKWR.jpg <https://i.imgur.com/NnLpKWR.jpg>

iD will also do this change when reversing a way.  That’s not what my email is about.

>  If you read taginfo you can find for forward subtags https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=%3Aforward <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=%3Aforward> more than 800000 nodes. If you read taginfo for backward https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=%3Abackward <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=%3Abackward> you can find more than 800000 nodes. Are you saying iD doesn't recognise all these tags with forward and backward subtags?

Nope, not saying that at all.

>  I give you a solution: make two presets: one for traffic_sign:backward and other with the same values for traffic_sign:forward.

That’s a bad solution, so instead we’re going to solve the problem of indicating traffic sign direction the same way it’s already solved for traffic signals.  `traffic_sign:direction=forward/backward` - simple.  I will even convert all the existing traffic signs tagged with `traffic_sign:forward` or `traffic_sign:backward` to work this way if you want.  It’s an unambiguous tag change.

I wouldn't know how to explain to mappers when to use a “Traffic Sign” vs a “Forward Facing Traffic Sign” vs a “Backward Facing Traffic Sign” much less translating these concepts to dozens of different languages.

Thanks, Bryan