[Tagging] Default Language Format; language:default or default:language?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 01:15:28 UTC 2018

It's not always necessary or possible to interpret the language of a brand
name.
It's more useful to know the language of names that are based on natural
language, such as the names of most streets and natural features.
The copyrighted names of restaurants and shops are often entirely invented.
They are legally called "fictitious business names" in the USA.

But in this case I think we can say it's clearly an English brand name.

"Spazio Italian Bistrot" isn't a real name, but a brand name, like KFC,
IKEA, etc.
I suspect the less-common spelling of "Bistrot" is meant to make the brand
more copyright-worthy
"Bistro" was used before "Bistrot" in Paris; so both are correct:
Bistrots/Bistros
in Paris:Definitions, Origins - France: Dining ...
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi2hcaRvObdAhVDWX0KHaZfBYAQFjANegQIRxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.egullet.org%2Ftopic%2F37806-bistrotsbistros-in-parisdefinitions-origins%2F&usg=AOvVaw3dpQQN_s9yBy_tF7ybR8D8>

The placement of the adjective "Italian" is clearly English; An Italian or
French speaker would have written "Bistro Italiano" or "Bistrot Italien".
So I would add "name:en=Spazio Italian Bistrot" and "brand=Spazio Italian
Bistrot" if there is more than one location.

For something like "IKEA" or "KFC", I would use "brand" as well:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:brand
If the local location also has a specific name, that should be clearer; eg
"name:en=Portland Oregon IKEA" and "brand=IKEA", or "name:en=Manchester
City Centre KFC", "brand=KFC"

*TL:DR -* the language of a Brand names cannot always be determined (but in
this case it's English).
Usualy the most common language in the region will be used for invented
shop & restaurant brand names,
Fall back to "name=*" if you have no idea.
And use "brand=*", since this is often more precise than "name=*" for
restuarants and shops.

Joseph