[Tagging] Default Language Format; language:default or default:language?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 04:59:13 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 11:17, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> *TL:DR -* the language of a Brand names cannot always be determined (but
> in this case it's English).
> Usualy the most common language in the region will be used for invented
> shop & restaurant brand names,

That's something that I've been wondering about during this discussion of
how names would appear & so on.

As a real common example, you have McDonalds all (or virtually) over the
world, so how does the name appear on OSM maps in non-English speaking
countries?

I know that if I use OSM from Australia & go to other countries, then their
map appears in the local language. So if I go to eg Thailand or Cambodia,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=7/16.810/97.405, can I still search OSM
for "McDonalds", or do I have to search for some squiggly hieroglyphics?
(With no offence intended to any Thais or Cambodians!)

Thanks

Graeme