[Tagging] landform promontory

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 23:40:10 UTC 2018

Where are these features located? I haven't seen anything called a
"promontory" in the western USA: we would call these features ridges or
cliffs if they are hills or mountains above lower land, or if they are
surrounded by water they would be a headland, peninsula, cape, or "point".

In OSM, there is already a tag for natural=cape, and the wiki page suggests
it can be used for all water promontories:
"Cape <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Cape_(geography)> - a prominent,
elevated piece of land sticking out into the sea or large lake. Includes
capes, heads, headlands, peninsulas and (water) promontories."
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dcape - used 11,000 times.

"Natural=*" is perfect in this case, because headlands/capes are natural
features formed by geological processes and natural erosion.
So if you are tagging "promontories" that project into a lake or sea, then
use natural=cape on a point.

If you are tagging hills or mountains on land, use natural=ridge as a way
along the center of the ridge in most cases.
You can also add natural=peak  to a node, if there is a local high point
that is named.
"Natural=*" is also totally appropriate in this case; ridges and peaks are
also formed by natural geological and meteorological processes, no?

I've been meaning to ask the folks at OpenStreetMap Carto to start
rendering the names of ridges as a name label, so that mappers will not be
tempted to add place=locality or natural=peak when the named feature is
really a ridge.

Thanks!
Joseph