[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Refilling a purchased drink

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Fri Oct 5 18:23:54 UTC 2018

On 10/5/2018 1:23 PM, bkil wrote:

> I agree that keeping a whole price chart up to date manually is a
> tedious and error prone process yielding low added value from the
> standpoint of users and OSM, so we should definitely not be doing
> that. Although specifying the cost of a single representative item
> (cheapest or a widely available brand of beer in a pub?) could perhaps
> help categorize the venue.

Consistent with best tagging practices as I understand them:
  - It's great to tag whether something costs money or not. We have the
"fee=" key (and "*:fee=" namespace keys) for this purpose.
  - It's sometimes helpful to tag the actual price. But there's not a
great consensus on how to do it. Some people overload the "fee" tag with
actual price info, some people use "fee:price=" or "fee:charge=", some
people just use "charge=", and for toll roads people often use "toll=".
And of course pricing structures can be quite complex, so the values
often end up as free text description fields rather than anything parseable.
  - Adding actual price info for food/drink items is NOT done.
  - ...But, indicating the possibility of price discounts isn't entirely
out of the question. I'm thinking of the "happy_hours" tag for bars: It
indicates that discounted drinks are available during certain hours...
but again, not the actual happy hour drink prices.

So applying all this to the free refills question, I'd say it's a
reasonable thing to tag, but I'd discourage adding actual price info.
The drink namespace structure "drink:*=*" is already in use, so offhand
I could imagine something like
     drink:coffee=yes
     drink:coffee:free_refills=yes
or even just
     drink:coffee=yes;free_refills
If I encountered these tags, I'd know exactly what they meant. And I'd
be happy to know it!

An alternative might be
     drink:coffee=yes
     drink:coffee:refills=free|discounted
...which would allow us to encode discounted refills rather than just
free/not free.

However this works out, I look forward to drinking many cups of coffee. J