[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Refilling a purchased drink

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:23:03 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:38 AM Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could you please clarify what policy this would violate that makes you
>> disapprove?
>
> it is basically a way of giving a discount to customers. Would you also want to add special offers of your supermarket, like buy one get one free?

Yes I would and I usually do, see happy_hours=*
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:happy_hours

Sometimes bakeries or fast food restaurants also offer discounts
before closing every day, so they don't need to throw out food (again
as a measure to reduce waste). Some of these are posted on the wall,
but some do not advertise this practice at all and are only obvious of
you happen to be be shopping inside just half an hour before closing.

The happy hour places I know have sustained this practice for years,
so it is a very stable feature. Mapping these is a very valuable
source of information.

> Without putting the price for the first (paid) glass in relation to usual prices,

Prices can change pretty often, like once a year or biannually, but
the practice of offering free refills is a stable feature in my
observation, so it is more feasible to map.

> the information about free refills is worthless.
> E.g. if a glass of $SOFTDRINK is sold for 5 EUR and you can get up to 2 refills it is still more expensive than a place where a glass of $SOFTDRINK is sold for 1 EUR.

Yes, you are correct. However, if I'm not mistaken, it is much more
common to see places that offer unlimited refills.

Then again, I personally do not "look for" or "prefer" such places, I
wish to map these because *other* people view this as an identifying
novelty property of a restaurant.

If you are that thirsty you should probably drop by a supermarket and
grab 1l of tomato juice or find a water tap instead if you ask me. ;-)

> I am not sure there is (already) a policy, but I believe there is general agreement not to tag the price structure of shops or other amenities, unless it is a single fee (like for parking).

I agree that keeping a whole price chart up to date manually is a
tedious and error prone process yielding low added value from the
standpoint of users and OSM, so we should definitely not be doing
that. Although specifying the cost of a single representative item
(cheapest or a widely available brand of beer in a pub?) could perhaps
help categorize the venue.

> For me, this is kind of an edge case here, I would be willing to accept the tag, but I can see the arguments against it.
> Cheers,
> Martin

Thank you for your clarification.