[Tagging] How to tag named group of named water areas?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:30:39 UTC 2018

Group relations have been proposed (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Group_Relation) in
the past. One has been used to group the Great Lakes:

I'm tempted to use type=group relations to group the Bisby Lakes,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/198380582, the Cedar Lakes (First,
Second, Third and Fourth are all conflated in OSM)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3586769, the Essex Chain of Lakes
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3696734, the Fulton Chain of Lakes:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/195478, and similar groupings,
because the unimaginative names of the individual lakes are, to say the
least, uninformative. If enough people use type=group, the renderers,
Nominatim, and other data consumers will eventually catch up, I suppose.

Note that US Geologic Survey topo maps have historically indicated the
chain names as well as the lake names, so the USGS cartographers have
considered both names to be significant:
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=43.87654,-74.23618&z=14&b=t&o=r&n=0.25
shows the Essex Chain and
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=43.7229,-74.90313&z=14&b=t&o=r&n=0.25 shows
the foot of the Fulton Chain, for instance.

I haven't tried to push this issue, because the rendering world is truly
not ready for it.  One of these years I'm going to want to try my hand at
implementing a renderer that incorporates some of the ideas of
https://pure.tue.nl/ws/files/88830694/labellingFramework.pdf and
http://geoinformatics.ntua.gr/courses/admcarto/lecture_notes/name_placement/bibliography/barrault_2001.pdf
for labeling elongated areas and groups (such as archipelagoes, mountain
ranges, broad rivers, and chains of lakes). Don't expect it any time soon.
So many projects, so little time...