[Tagging] Greengrocer vs grocery vs shop=food?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 10:02:45 UTC 2018

You know, some people have advocated for a tag or, more properly, a set of
tags that can enumerate the items sold by a given shop. The tag set uses
the key "sells:*=yes/no. So if a given shop sells Korean food, one could
tag it as shop=food (or shop=convenience or grocery, or general) and
sells:korean_food=yes, or sells:pierogi=yes, etc.. The list can be as long
as one wants and the items sold can be queried via search engines or what
have you. A similar scheme has been proposed for bicycle and motorcycle
shops that employ the service:bicycle:*=yes/no tag set so one can tag
service:bicycle:repair=yes/no, service:bicycle:rental=yes/no, etc.

I'm not advocating this scenario but thought it might be of interest. I do
think it would be nice to have some overriding methodology to govern the
construction of these new tags we keep wanting to invent.

The sells key only has a few uses so far but for some reason it appeals to
me; here's the Taginfo link:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=sells

The service proposal is here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/service:bicycle